Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rabbi Hershel Rabbs Remer VII

Luke Ford says:

Rabbi Hershel “Rabbs” Remer a comichas spent most of his life in Los Angeles. (R. Rabbs YouTube)

“Comedians tend to come from a very tragic abnormal sorry-ass life. I think it was Shakespeare who said that from the greatest tragedies come the greatest comedy. I’ve led a very tragic life. As a result, I became a comedian.

“I’ve been around a lot of comedians for the past decade and all of them have one thing in common — they’re all misfits and they all had a screwed-up childhood.”

“For me, normal English language is every fourth word is a curse word… I was screamed at and cussed at and humiliated every way you can imagine from the time I was born until I got out of the house. I ran away at 16. The dumbest thing I ever did was to come back. Telling somebody to go back to a situation like that is like saying, ‘Hey, get on the trains and go to the camps. Auschwitz is a good place to do picnic dinners.’

“There’s a reason why someone runs away from home and that has to be explored. You don’t just send a person back.

“At 18, I was out.”

Read On



No comments: