Friday, November 26, 2010

Judah & Tamar - R-rated Genesis Story

Luke Ford writes:


I discuss the parsha with Rabbi Rabbs Monday at 7pm PST on my live cam.


Please remember to bathe, to put on clean clothes, and to abstain from marital relations for at least 48 hours before coming into our chat room because the rabbi and I have some pretty heavy commandments to lay upon you.


I put together these challenges for Rabbi Rabbs:


Parashat Vayeshev (Genesis 37-40):


* Jacob loves Joseph and Benjamin, not because they are children of his old age, but because they are Rachel’s kids.


* Jewish claim to be God’s chosen people is similar to Joseph’s dream of all the sheaves bowing down to his sheave. Why does it cause hate? If I told you my family was chosen by God, how would you react?


* Joseph was bringing bad tales of his brothers to his father. Not wise. (Gen. 37:2)


* How would you react if your sibling told you about such dreams of superiority? I’ve found that you never want to give others the feeling that you look down at them. They don’t like it. And it is usually best to confess your faults so others don’t have to remind you of them.


Holy rabbi, would you care to share any of your dreams?



No comments: