Thursday, August 11, 2011

Indirect Procedures: A Musician’s Guide To The Alexander Technique

Luke Ford writes: Pedro de Alcantara has published such books as Indirect Procedures: A Musician’s Guide to the Alexander Technique, The Alexander Technique: A Skill for Life, and Integrated Practice: Coordination, Rhythm & Sound.

In an interview with Robert Rickover, Pedro says: “More musicians than actors know the Alexander Technique. One of the reasons for it is that a musician who takes an Alexander lesson and the lesson goes well, the musician will immediately hear a difference in his music-making or singing.”

Robert: “And often there’s an immediacy of pain relief.”

Pedro: “When I took my first Alexander lesson, I was not having any pain. I was playing the cello in college and my teacher saw that I was an awkward player.”



No comments: